Margot Verger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Student

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:42 pm
 Post subject: Margot Verger

One could count the number of people Hannibal Lecter has known and respected on one hand.

This brings me to Margot Verger. Of course we cannot disect her relationship with Hannibal in the movie, but in the book I got the impression he did, in a unique way, respect her. What are your thoughts? Did he help her because he sympathized for her, to save his hide, or both?

Studiolo Curator

Some of our stars are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:17 am
 Post subject:

He would have to respect her in order to request some sort of help from her. Lecter wouldn't go so low as to beg from some imbecile he was disgusted of.

There was a forest on fire inside her.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Doctor Honoris Causa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:22 pm
 Post subject:

No doubt our Good Doctor held strong empathy of sorts for Margot. Why else would he infuse hope that she one day would make Mason bite the dust with a portentous and somehow unsettling message about her finding her catharsis only when she killed Mason?

"Sometimes our couple dances at dinnertime. Sometimes they do not finish dinner."
Scholar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:40 am
 Post subject:

From what I could tell, he both respected and liked Margot. Her inner strength and tenacity were quite extraordinary.

She appreciated his help and told him as much. She did not want to be there, wanted no part in Masonís revenge. She cracked just a little, when asking him not to beg her.

But at the same time, she would do anything to find her own measure of peace and ensure her life with Judy. She would have been able to sleep at night. And Dr. Lecter appreciated that attitude, even if it did not bode well for him. She had it in her to be ruthless Ė under the right circumstances, of course. He recognised that in her.

"I can do this and sleep afterward, and you know I can."
"Yes, I know you can. I always liked that in you.Ē

I think that snippet of their dialogue perfectly sums up the understanding between them.

And Iím quite sure that if Clarice hadnít shown up, Margot would have helped him somehow. But it probably would have been a close call (it was, anyway). Regardless, they seemed to stay on friendly terms Ė he took the blame for Masonís death, she gave him Krendler. Iím sure she slept very well afterwards.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: